Monday, 29 June 2015

Does your child need a tutor at primary level?

As parents, we want our children to excel in school. But a lot of us do not have enough time to guide our children in their studies. Some kids can do their studies by themselves but some need a push. Some can do it with a helpful teacher in school and a active parent a home but some need extra guidance. As kids grow, their studies increase and a busy family will only lead to falling grades.

Schools try their level best to help out each and every kid. They do not make a child repeat class till they reach a certain grade/standard (usually till 8th grade/standard). They have counselors to assist kids with such issues. They usually do not support the concept of tutoring unless it is really required.

Still some children might have the difficulty in understanding some concepts. Less time and many children in class will restrict the teacher from providing individual attention to a child everyday. Children too fail to speak up in class, when they have not understood a lesson clearly or have a doubt in the concept.

Look for signs so that you know when it is time for you to take action:

1) Slipping grades: When you see your child's report card, you know if he can do better. Sudden decline in grades also need action.

2) Weak eyesight: Sometimes the problem can be very simple.Vision related issues just need a eye check up done.

3) Time management: If the child takes a long time to finish his homework, postpones homework or cannot keep up with the increasing workload, there is an issue.

4) Self esteem: Kids sometimes do not have the confidence in themselves. It can happen that the child has been demotivated by someone or mocked at.

5) Focus: Some children get distracted too easily and make up reasons for not doing their work.

6) Frustration: Children might show frustration when they don't understand what is taught to them.

7) Learning disabilities: We are aware of many learning disabilities that are shown in movies too. ADHD, Dyslexia are some of them.

8) Third language: This is the language spoken in the state we live in or some foreign language. Parents might not be able to provide guidance for such subjects.

What to do:

1) Have a discussion about this with your child.

2) Talk to teachers. They too will have noticed the issue and might have more inputs.

3) Check with the school teacher if they need a counselors guidance. Schools have appointed counselors who can help.

4) Teachers and counselors can too provide input on if a tutor is required.

5) Find a tutor who can provide individual attention. Explain to the tutor the issues so that he/she will keep it in mind while teaching the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment